Monday, August 1, 2011

Sensory Bottles

There are so many ways to use an empty plastic bottle to entertain a baby! Water bottles are especially great to reuse as baby toys. Just make sure the cap is on super tight and recheck it often to make sure it is still secure! Hot gluing the bottles shut is also an option. Here are a few of the sensory bottles I made for my son. Baby Bear enjoyed shaking them, watching the little objects inside float around, and pretending he was taking a drink like mommy and daddy. He enjoyed these toys from about 4 to 9 months old.
  • I added a little water (about 1/4 full) and a drop of food coloring.
  • As a variation of the above idea, I have tried adding something to the water. A teaspoon of glitter is fun, or some cut up pipe cleaners. A friend of mine tore little pieces off a colorful sponge and tossed them in for her daughter. Basically, anything shiny, colorful, and/or floaty will do.
  • Add a little oil to the water, preferably clear, for a lava lamp effect. This one was not a hit with Baby Bear, but I can see how some babies may like this toy. I read somewhere that adding a couple drops of glycerine can slow down the motion of the oil, which might make this version of the toy more entertaining.
  • Baby Bear's favorite reused bottle toy was the one I added half a cup of dry rice to. I also added a few drops of food coloring just for visual interest. It made a great noise-maker!
Just water with food coloring... a big hit!

Water with cut up pipe cleaners: Fun to shake, rattle, and roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment