Monday, October 24, 2011

Hidden Nutrition

A few years ago, I bought the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld when I found it on sale. I figured it would come in handy some day. At the very least, I thought I might be able to get Papa Bear to eat a little healthier. ;)

Baby Bear loves most fruits, but there are only a few vegetables I can get him to eat. I wanted to at least expose him to the taste of other vegetables in hopes that some day he will be more likely to eat them, so I turned to this cookbook for ideas.

I steamed and pureed several vegetables in various colors (trying to "eat from the rainbow"). I was already familiar with this process, and I already had a lot of small containers on hand because I made some of Baby Bear's baby foods for a while. So far, I have had success with hiding carrots in spaghetti sauce, sweet potatoes in pancakes, and squash in waffles. The orange veggies are fairly easy to hide, I guess. I also pureed beets and spinach, but as these are harder to hide, I have not tried them yet.

I don't expect Baby Bear to love everything I put in front of him, but I hope that by exposing him to a wider variety of healthy foods, he will turn to these more often for snacks than junk foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment