Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Playdough

Updated on October 19, 2011
Last week, Baby Bear, Papa Bear, and I played with the pumpkin pie playdough I found a recipe for on the Dinosaurs and Octopuses blog. It was amazing! The texture was smooth and easy for Baby Bear to manipulate. The smell was divine! Even after putting it away, we could still smell it on our hands. Baby Bear thought it tasted pretty good, too. (Yuck! :P) It was hard to keep him from eating this stuff, but as long as I kept handing him tools to use to make marks in the dough, he used his hands to play rather than his mouth.

Investigating the dough


Papa Bear joined in on playing with the dough

This is the recipe I followed as described by Joyce on Dinosaurs and Octopuses:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar
1/3 of the jar of pumpkin pie spice (the tiny jar)
maple extract
vanilla extract
food coloring

Combine the dry ingredients and the oil. Slowly add the water. Add a few dashes of each of the extracts and a few drops of red and yellow food coloring. Cook over medium heat, stirring until stiff. As it mixes you can see if you'll need more food dye. We tried to be conservative at first, because I didn't want it to be too vibrant. We added a little at a time until we acheived the right color. Turn out onto wax paper. The pumpkin pie spice was too spicy by itself, for my liking. The extracts make it smell sweeter, just like a pumpkin pie. Sniff the dough. Does it smell too spicy? Add a little bit more extract and knead it all together. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. If it's too dry, add a few drops of water.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for linking back to me. I hope you get the chance to try out my recipe and I hope you love it! It's great, because even if your little one gets a few tastes, it's okay! Although, it doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells. And I like homemade play dough better than store bought because it seems easier to work with for little hands. Please let me know how you like it if you try it!

    ReplyDelete