Friday, March 30, 2012

Beading for Toddlers

Last month a new teacher store opened just a few miles from our house! I was so excited! So, first chance I got, Baby Bear and I headed there to check it out. I was like a kid in a candy store and could have easily spent a fortune. Luckily, I've learned how to make a lot of materials on my own since joining the blogging world, so I made it out with only one small bag.

The item I was most excited about buying was a container of giant beads. With these beads, Baby Bear and I can practice colors, counting, patterns, shapes, stacking, and threading. Sometimes I show Baby Bear how to do things with the beads, like threading them onto a pipe cleaner or straw (string is still too flimsy for him to use without getting frustrated). Sometimes I just pull the container out and see what he does. I know we could do many of these activities with dry pasta, but Baby Bear loves to eat pasta and probably wouldn't want to try to do anything else with them. These giant beads have been wonderful for both mental and physical development.

Threading a bead onto a straw

Matching straw colors with bead colors

Wearing the beads he helped me thread onto a pipe cleaner

No comments:

Post a Comment