Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chocolate Playdough

Baby Bear and I just wrapped up our home preschool unit on All About Me, AKA the external parts of the body and what they can do. For one of our sensory activities (repeated several times because Baby Bear loved and requested it so much), we made little playdough people. Even though we already had a batch of no-cook playdough on hand, I really wanted to make something new. So, while Baby Bear was working on a playdough man, I set to work on making some chocolate playdough.

I started with a familiar recipe, and then I adjusted as needed. Although I didn't measure, this is the most accurate account I can give of how our successful batch came to be:
  • Mix 1 1/2 cups flour (I used all-purpose), 1/2 cup salt, 1 1/2 T cream of tartar, and 3T unsweetened cocoa powder in a bowl.
  • Add 1T vegetable oil and mix.
  • Add 3/4 cups boiling water and mix. Dough will likely be sticky.
  • Slowly, stir in more flour and knead until dough is no longer sticky. I ended up adding about another 1/2 cup.
It smelled wonderful!

For days, Baby Bear kept asking to play with his "choco paydoh." He just loves that it's chocolate, even though he can't eat it! I think this is a new family favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment